I've been home for a few days now and am starting to feel like myself again. I don't think that jet lag was as much of an issue as getting sick was. As is my typical M.O., I started feeling poorly Sunday night, within about 24 hrs of arriving home. It feels like bronchitis - although not as severe a bout as I've had in the past. I've had to sleep in a semi-upright position so that I'm not constantly coughing. After a few nights of tossing and turning, I've taken an ambien at bedtime for the past 2 nights - has helped immensely. I'm hoping the crud will clear thru my lungs relatively quickly and leave me the hell alone!
Flights home were relatively uneventful, which is always a good thing. I left the hotel at around 4 a.m. on Saturday and we made it to the airport in under 45 minutes (due to both the lack of traffic and my driver's lead foot). At one point, I had to ask the driver to slow down - he was going THAT fast. When we reached the airport, a gentleman from the hotel was there to greet me. I thought that he would just help me inside, but he stayed with me all the way to the security gate. What an enormous help he was! He led me to the business class line for check-in, despite my protests that I was not flying business class. He told me not to worry about it. He had "first class" tags for my carry-on luggage, procured after an exchange in non-English with someone. I decided to go for the "don't ask, don't protest" policy. At check-in, not an eye was blinked re: which line I was/should be in. I asked if any upgrades were available and was told that they were currently reserved for "higher level" airline customers (e.g. those with platinum memberships, etc.). The woman helping me did say that if there was availability after these members checked in, she would try to get me upgraded.
My "escort" (nothing dirty, even though that word makes it sound like it!) then took my carry-on and guided me through to security. He was just so helpful and made the process much, much easier. I tipped him well and headed thru security with no problems. The lines were pretty short (one line for women, one for men). In total, I was at my gate within under 30 min of arriving at the airport... meaning that I had about a 2 hour wait for my flight.
When it was my turn to board, I was informed that I had been given a complimentary upgrade to business class - nice! The seat was extremely comfortable and reclined a full 180 degrees. I was able to sleep for about 4 hours and then read and relaxed and ate the rest of the way to London. Had about a 2.5 hr layover in London, and then was off to DC. No upgrades this time - but no crying babies, either, so it all evens out. Was able to get about another 3 hrs of sleep.
Relatively painless getting thru customs & immigration once I reached Dulles. Made it thru in about 30 min, tops, and then happily greeted mom & headed home. Received another warm greeting - this one from the pup - upon arrival home. She seemed a little confused (as I anthropamorphize her behavior), but she seemed happy to see me. She seems to be her normal, happy self - apparently, no worse for her adventures.
Thanks so much for all of the nice comments - glad that so many of you have enjoyed reading my travel adventures! Next trip to India = December, so I'm sure I'll have plenty more to share (NOT, however, synchonized massages - been there, done that, don't need to do it again!).
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment