Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturday: Jill shopped and Lilly came home!

It's around 9:30 pm on Saturday evening and I'm relaxing from my day of shopping. A few of the women from the office told me that they would take me shopping today in downtown Banagalore. I met one of them at about 11 am, and then we met up with the others within 45 minutes or so. We shopped on Commercial Street, which is insanely crowded with both cars and pedestrians. It was around 95 degrees - I felt my sunblock melting on my face and neck (yuck!). We went into about 6 stores total, and I made purchases in 3 of them. I mostly stuck to textiles - pillow (cushion) covers, cotton napkins, stoles (heavy cotton scarves), wall hangings. I was very glad to have my new friends there to do the bargaining for me! I'm sure that I still paid a little more than they would have had I not been there, but I felt as though I was getting a lot for my money. The first store, which several people had recommended, is called FabIndia. It has fixed prices (no bargaining), which I prefer - I don't feel as though I'm being charged more that way!

Mid-shopping we stopped for something to drink. We all had lassi, a yogurt drink that can be salty or sweet. I went for the sweet version - tried the salty once and it was just too strange for me. I also drank most of a liter bottle of mineral water. Those who know me know that I do not do well in the sun and heat (delicate flower that I am!), so I was feeling a little faint at that point. Nothing bad, just a little weak. The lassi and water perked me back up for more shopping!

After shopping, we went to a local shopping mall to have lunch. The top floor had a nice restaurant (Indian) with a buffet lunch. It was quite tasty and it was very nice to sit in an air conditioned place. The place we stopped for drinks was air conditioned, too, but the A/C felt meted out - kind of like when my grandmother used to press down on the gas and then let up & coast, press on the gas, coast. It was A/C, not A/C, A/C, not A/C.

Spoke with mom (hi, mom!) on IM a little while ago. It is Saturday morning at home, which meant Lilly's coming home day! Mom picked her up from Affectionate and brought her home. She appears to be a little confused/out of sorts (as we anthropamorphize her behavior!). I told mom where to find the tastiest treats and gave full permission for spoiling! This is the longest that Lilly has ever been away - that, combined with the fact that her Grandma picked her up and brought her home, could certainly explain her being out of sorts. Or maybe she's just exhausted after 9 days of playing!

I have eaten fresh mango each and every day. I'm so happy to be here during peak mango season! My return trip is tentatively planned for December. It won't be fresh mango season then... but it also won't be 95 degrees! It will be winter, so maybe 70 - 80ish. That's my kind of winter (especially closer to 70!).

Debating whether to eat dinner or not. It's almost 10 now (got distracted while writing). I had a relatively large lunch and ate a few small mangoes about an hour ago, so I think I may skip dinner. Will eat lightly tomorrow morning, as I have a 1 pm appointment for a massage at the hotel spa. Not just any massage, mind you. A "synchronized" massage, with 2 masseuses (masseusi?) simultaneously massaging my aching body. The massage also includes a head massage with oils, which I'm sure my dry hair will just soak up. After the massage, a pedicure. It's going to be a lovely day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment