Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mango and papaya and litchi (oh my!)

Got a good night's sleep, thanks to my friend ambien. I don't typically rely on it, but I need to get on a normal schedule as quickly as possible (off to work tomorrow!). It's almost noon local time on Sunday and I'm starting to feel tired again. It's not a typical tiredness; more of a lightheadness & feeling of being "off".

Had another nice breakfast this morning. I do love bread & cheese & salami when I travel to Europe & it's no different here. I've also really been enjoying the fresh fruit. I know that I need to be very careful about fresh fruit in India, but I feel safe eating it at the hotel. Throw away any notions of mango or papaya that you may have, based on the fruit available in the U.S. Fresh mango & papaya here are simply in another class altogether and makes the usual U.S. stuff feel like a pathetic imitation. Don't get me wrong - I love mango, even in the U.S. I'm not typically a huge fan of papaya. Here, though, the ripeness and sweetness and sunny-ness (does that even make sense?) are just exquisite. I had fresh litchi (lychee), too, which was also tasty. Still, nothing tops the mango. I could almost write a poem - it's that good.

After breakfast, I strolled around inside & out for a few minutes (temperature hadn't yet gotten intolerable for my sensitive nature) and took a few pictures:









As you can see, it's all quite lovely.
OK - time for a quick respite. More later!

2 comments:

  1. oh, i so miss the indian mangos. i wish you could smuggle me some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I would if I could!!

    ReplyDelete